Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Overheard in Sellwood

Girl 1 (smoker's voice and a little drunk, maybe?): "But the people developing the pictures will see them."
Girl 2: "And maybe ask you out?"

I think not writing is killing me more than the run did. Accounts of my death have been greatly exaggerated.

My thanks to Katy for her side-splitting account of the run. We're sticking to 5Ks from here on out.

Today I am awash in medieval vocabulary and increasingly curious about what kids get and what they don't get. I'm pretty sure that if I'd read this book in 6th grade, I wouldn't have stumbled over words like "henceforward." Or "beguiled," "transgression," or "wrought." For two simple reasons: the lame one is that I just glazed over words I didn't get. I hadn't yet begun my affair with the dictionary, but I read a lot of things that went over my head and just figured it out from the context. The other reason is that a lot of the words in this book are ones we use in church. No, we're not hanging onto antiquated translations, we're helping our younguns with their vocabulary!

Speaking of church, this past Sunday was the feast of all saints of North America. Which means we get to sing things like this:

Rejoice, O mountains of Pennsylvania,
Leap for joy, O waters of the Great Lakes,
Rise up, O fertile plains of Canada,
for the elect of Christ who dwelt in you are glorified,
men and women who left their homes for a new land.
With faith, hope and patience as their armor,
they courageously fought the good fight.
Comforted by the beauty of the Orthodox Faith,
they labored in mines and mills, they tilled the land,
they braved the challenges of the great cities,
enduring many hardships and sufferings.


Try it. Try singing about the mountains of Pennsylvania and keeping a straight face. How often do you get to sing about mines and mills in church?

Back to my henceforwards.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home