Sunday, September 25, 2005

At last!

I show up on a google search for obsessive behavior! My life dreams have been realized and I can retire in peace.

As soon as I can pull myself up off the couch, I'll have some tidbits from a photo shoot earlier this afternoon.

Meanwhile, stories from Sunday school:

I have a new mix this year - some kids who were in 1st grade last year who I have again, some kids who moved up from the preschool/kindergarten room, and some altogether new kids. So I had them all introduce themselves - name, how old they are, and anything else they wanted to say. I said, "I'm 24" and you could see the shock on their little faces. She's old. Twenty-four? I'll never be that old. One boy announced that his father is 14. He then corrected it to 40. Neither number is correct.

The second shock to them was that I don't live with my parents and brother and sister. Gasp! Some of them have been to our apartment, but one girl, reeling from shock, asked "Why don't you live with your family?" Well, sweetie, you grow up and you get the hell out. I love my family, but there comes a time...

When it came time to draw pictures of our families, I gave them free reign with who to include. John's picture was of himself and three rather striking chickens.

I think I'll make it through another year.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jess said...

Um, I kinda kicked N out after the first week. I talked to her mom about it - she said she wasn't having these behavior problems in school, but of course I take that with a grain of salt...And neither am I a trained teacher. For an hour a week, I cannot command the same authority & discipline as a daily classroom teacher. I just can't. I'm also not paid. And I know what N can be like. The other kids - well, N's antics took over the classroom the first weeks. And she doesn't respond to discipline like the other kids do, so they seemed very bewildered by her. And the way she snatched art projects out of their hands. I feel bad, but...I just can't.

8:55 PM  
Blogger Jess said...

I'm glad to hear you say that - yeah, I know what she can be like. But still, she's just a kid and she has enough going on without feeling even more like she doesn't belong because of Sunday school. I wonder how much the other kids understand. Oh well. Her mom said that she'd tested boundaries at school, but has since learned the limits or whatever. Um, sure, whatever!

9:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home