Tuesday, January 31, 2006

was that you or me?

It's a good thing I like tea, because I'm living off of it. (Well, that and the cheese danish I just got at Grand Central and the sandwich and the oatmeal...) I think I've had four cups today. I just put the kettle on again. I guess that's not too many, but when I have a cup it's because oh my God, I need a cup of tea. I haven't quite reached the 'I wish I had a teabag in my throat'* stage, but I do frequently feel like I just might die if I don't get something hot and warm in my throat NOW.

*Once uttered during a particularly wretched sore throat phase. The funny thing is that I can't remember if I said it or if someone else said it...at one point I had three very similar remarks about tea on little scraps of paper taped to my tea cupboard. It might have been Lis, Bee, or me, but it really doesn't matter because I feel like I experienced it.

6 Comments:

Blogger blackbird said...

HATE THE SORE THROAT.

we have all sorts of crazy remedies over heeyah.

suck a lemon
gargle with scope
gargle with peroxil
that disgusting numbing spray
alka seltzer plus cold really seems to work - but it must be ridden out in the end.
with tea.

4:41 AM  
Blogger Julia said...

My personal favorite is a hot toddy - hot water, a lemon wedge squeezed, honey, a good dollop of bourbon, and a cinnamon stick (fun for stirring, and an impromptu straw).

If that doesn't work, then gargling with hot salt water, while not tasty, is truly excellent for sore throats.

7:37 AM  
Blogger Bronwen said...

it was me. when we were in galway.

7:38 AM  
Blogger Jess said...

It's actually more of a disgusting cough (plus, new development, the pincers of death headache!) than a sore throat. I despise being pushed to the point where I gargle. I hate gargling. So that's one upside to the cough.

And yes, I put myself to bed last night with a hot toddy. I slept over 8 hours with a minimum of sleep-coughing.

Thank you for all suggestions.

Bee, I'm glad someone remembers these things.

8:32 PM  
Blogger toni said...

I rarely comment, but I was about to comment and let you know it was Bee. Because if anyone needs some fact checking, just look to me! But I see she already cleared that up.

Lis wanted to be IN a tea cup.

And you were just the clever person to post those quotations on our tea cupboard.

10:35 PM  
Blogger toni said...

i suggest theraflu. heavily. wholeheartedly. it works like a charm.

10:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home