Tuesday, March 21, 2006


I spent the morning with chalk, a ruler, and a pair of sharp scissors. Nothing is stitched together yet but this is the layout I'm thinking of. My OCD side is having a very hard time with the fact that the fabrics aren't in proportion, but that's my own damn fault. Now I just need to brush up on my sewing machine skills. The green is much greener in reality, and the red ones are strawberries. The back is a swirly red-peachy pattern. PS - my OCD side made me rearrange it into diagonal lines of each color, minus the strawberries (well, that part was Kate), which miraculously worked except for one color. Now, like wordgirl suggested, there's one flaw - a square stitched together from two scraps.  Posted by Picasa

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

It looks great! If I was a baby getting this as a gift from you, I'd love it. Well, I'd love it anyway, even if I wasn't a baby. Yeah.

3:52 PM  
Blogger blackbird said...

I would gladly accept it -- even if the fabrics aren't in proportion.

6:05 PM  
Blogger BabelBabe said...

what wordgirl said...

that's the beauty of handmade gifts, their little quirks and idiosyncrasies.

i like it, it's lovely.

have you ever seen any of the Gee's Bend quilts? they're so not symmetrical and they are terrific.

http://www.quiltsofgeesbend.com/quilts/

11:29 AM  
Blogger Jess said...

Well, Di, so far all I've done is cut. The sewing machine is another animal entirely. Once I start sewing tomorrow, I may be tearing my hair out with my seam ripper.

And babelbabe, those or fantastic quilts! I don't have the guts to be intentionally asymmetrical. I'm working on my bravery, though.

10:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home