Monday, March 27, 2006

Sustenance

I was well on my way to be virtuous last night, as I got into bed at 11 pm and set my alarm for 7. But then I realized I was quite close to the end of Never Let Me Go and so I might as well finish it, right? Right. Appropriately for the title, it's a difficult book to put down. You reach the end of a chapter and think, "okay, now I'll turn off the light," but suddenly you find yourself halfway through the next chapter. While I'd recommend it, I do have to say that after reading the last page, I wasn't too sad about letting it go. I didn't want to clasp it to my bosom like, say, Pride and Prejudice. Nope, just tossed it over the side of the bed (onto the book heap that permanently lives there - side effect of a tiny bedside table) and went to sleep.

I've also been on another little Dorothy Sayers kick - listening to The Unpleasantness at the Bellona Club and got Gaudy Night on Netflix. I think my favorite part about the Gaudy Night movie was watching them drink all that tea. The guy who does Lord Peter left something to be desired. He was missing a certain snappiness. No one can come close to the vision in my head. But the tea! The dons with their fine china and pouring in milk and careful stirring. I love England for its tea-drinking habits. Thinking about it, I realized that I love the way tea and coffee are both used in books and movies - an offering of a cup always introduces a nice note of comfort and sustenance. Beverages you could live off.

Go check out Kate's goats. She emailed me saying, "Keith got me two awesome surprise presents." And I said, "sweet. are they goats?" Their names are Beezus and Ramona. I am jealous.

7 Comments:

Blogger Julia said...

Did you watch the Gaudy Night with Edward Petherbridge in it? I was disappointed by his Lord Peter too, he seemed too soft faced somehow - more used to opulant ballrooms than detective work.

12:38 AM  
Blogger Jess said...

Yep, that was the one. One of my favorite things about the character of Lord Peter is that people think he's rediculous, but we see his combination of insecurities and brilliance. Especially in Gaudy Night, probably my favorite book. Harriet was pretty decent, though.

10:00 AM  
Blogger Julia said...

Gaudy Night is one of my favorites too - I love Dorothy Sayers' version of Oxford. I'm not sure that Oxford exists except in tiny pockets now, but it is wonderful to read about and imagine.

7:29 AM  
Blogger Jess said...

The whole atmosphere has probably changed a lot. I visited Cambridge and it was odd because it looked like something straight out of Dorothy Sayers but I'm sure the lives of the students were quite different.

9:44 AM  
Blogger BabelBabe said...

Re: the tea, I have an email that bounced back re all the Stilton people in Rosamunde Pilcher books eat - and I too have noticed all the tea consumption. I can't even think what else I had to say, just yes, they drink alot of tea and eat alot of stilton over there in Merry Olde England.

1:47 PM  
Blogger BabelBabe said...

I meant an email to you but I have a headache and the boys are screaming and I CAN'T THINK.

1:48 PM  
Blogger Beege said...

Beezus and Ramona.

I LOVE it!

2:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home