Friday, May 19, 2006

is it friday yet?

How is it that I have the energy to get up, go for a three mile walk with a dog pulling at my arm, unload the dishwasher, reload it, sweep the kitchen floor (okay, it's about two square feet, but still), clean off the counters, and fix breakfast, but then I can't manage to pry myself off the chair to go take a shower? Eh.

I finished A Thread of Grace a couple days ago, and I think my favorite part about it (and this will sound so so wrong) was the way she killed off characters. But you know? Some books set during wars are so predictable. The sweetheart will be killed, but not till close to the end. It will all build up to it. Like Cold Mountain (which I also happened to love) where you KNOW he will die - but of course not until the end. But in this one, you'd get an air raid and a stray bullet and torture and what have you - all spread out. Characters you were attached to and others that were on the side. Characters you thought would pull through. But real life isn't as well plotted, usually, as fiction - and that made the deaths feel so much more real. Also, I was pleased to see how much foul Italian language I remember.

Now I'm on to Human Croquet, which, I feel, should have a cover that has something to do with croquet. I like Kate Atkinson's wandery feel and her sense of time.

It is also time for Baby Watch 2006 - three women from church about to pop. As of yesterday, there were increased rumors of Q's mama being in labor. However, God only knows how much time will pass between the appearance of an actual baby and any phone calls to let people know. They might wait days just to torture us. I want to get my hands on that baby.

Also, I have Pomp & Circumstance stuck in my head and I would like to share it with you. No thanks necessary.

3 Comments:

Blogger BabelBabe said...

I LOVED Behind the Scenes at the Museum and Case Histories but have not read Human Croquet yet.

Gina found Thread annoyingly sad; I found it wonderfully sad and realistic and I completely agree with you.

7:06 PM  
Blogger BabelBabe said...

WAIT? Did Q's sibling make her/his (her?) appearance???

7:06 PM  
Blogger Jess said...

I've only read Behind the Scenes...and loved it. But I've tried to get several people to read it and they can't get into it. More for us, I suppose, even though that isn't actually the way it goes with books...

I'm glad you agree on Thread. Maybe in a different mood it would've irritated me - but there were all those lovely redemptive notes, plus SO many characters that a bunch had to die, logically.

Yes! Baby sister has made an appearance! Hopefully Monday I can drop by...

9:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home