Friday, June 16, 2006

"I am a bunny, my name is Nicholas"


Today I am torn between catching up on the blogs I haven't been reading over the past couple days (people! slow down! 126 new feeds on bloglines? this is out of control) and just spewing out a post myself. Oh, and finishing up Summerland, which, a coworker and I decided, is the perfect children's book for adults. I'm at the part where the Shadowtails are playing a game of baseball against the Big Liars (all your favorite tall tale characters) in an effort to prevent the end of the world. Can you resist a book with characters named Mooseknuckle John and Taffy the Sasquatch? Maybe, but it's not worth it.

Yesterday I visited Q & M & Katy and helped polish off Q's birthday cake (wheat free, dairy free, sweetened with maple syrup, and all Q wants to eat these days) and listened to Q read me The Very Hungrey Caterpillar. She's got it down. I'm so proud (sniff).

I'm losing my sense of what day it is, I'm impatient for the blueberries to ripen, I want to keep Kate's bridal shower gift for myself, I really really want to go to the coast, and I wish I weren't out of bacon. I've maxed out my holds at the library (which takes some doing, since we get more than twice as many as the normal patron) with things I don't have time to read. But people keep recommending things! And new things keep getting published! And people are horrified to discover that I never read Judy Blume! And I need to read a lot now before I go back to school! Also, I'm having trouble getting myself off the couch. And I'd like to snack on this baby for lunch.

8 Comments:

Blogger Kristina said...

I too am eagerly anticipating the arrival of blueberries. My grandparents have an abundance of them every summer, and have been keeping me in the blue crack for as long as I can remember. Delish.

Reading is maddening, isn't? To be generic, so many books, so little time...

2:31 PM  
Blogger lazy cow said...

I keep picking up Summerland in the remainder bins, and putting it back down. I don't know, the fact he is married to Ayelet Waldman just puts me off for some reason (I don't like her books). Maybe I need to rethink?

7:09 PM  
Blogger MsCellania said...

Those are two very very yummy girls. I had my 2 yo niece here today (well, almost 2) and we had a great time. She calls my sons "My BOYS!" and chases them all over the house.

Good luck with your summer reading. And the blueberries. I like cream on them, too! And yes, about your food choices. Life is way too short to eat margarine, or processed anything.

8:17 PM  
Blogger Jess said...

I would give Summerland a chance. I've never read his wife's books, so I don't know about that. I had my doubts about Summerland, because the plot sounded like Too Much, but it's great.

"Life is too short to eat processed anything." I think that might be my new motto.

11:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. IamabunnymynameisNicholas
Iliveinahollowtree was my favorite book as a child! (Just had to point that out...relevance to anything notwithstanding.)

2:36 AM  
Blogger Jess said...

I'm glad you picked up on the bunny reference - Q did the same thing when she handed it to me. I was all "huh?" because I didn't grow up with it, but she's got it down.

Judy Blume wasn't as much the thing when I was a kid - I wasn't born until 1981, remember. Someone my age can correct me if they wish, if she was in fact still the thing and I just missed it. I've read Summer Sisters, actually, and that was it. As an adult.

10:50 AM  
Blogger Jess said...

Cassie, Summerland is pretty long and substantial and I think a lot of the jokes would be better gotten by an older child/young teen. The characters are 11 or 12, I think. There's violence, although not graphic, and discussions of death and whether or not the world should be allowed to end. But, if it looks interesting to you & Boo then I say try it. Worst thing that happens is he's bored and you stop. I've got friends who were read Lord of the Ring as mere infants, practically, so who am I to say?

11:06 AM  
Blogger Jeff said...

The job of a librarian is never done...

2:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home