Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Night Mail

Today, at long last, is a mail day. Those of you who are letter writers know what I'm talking about. Normally we only languish and despair on Sundays, but this week there was the added torture of Monday. No mail. None. What if there was a fabulous letter or issue of the New Yorker with your name on it, just wasting away in a post office somewhere? Or on a truck?

I forgot to add something to my list of obsessions - the postal system. I'd appreciate any inside info anyone can share. Why does a letter from New York to Portland take only 2 days, but a letter from Providence to Portland takes eons? (Well, maybe 4 - do you have a number, dear anonymous commenter who cares not for gold nor silver?) In a Brit Lit class we were once treated to the glory of an ancient black and white British film about the mail train from London to Scotland. It was truly glorious, lots of hooking and unhooking mail bags from these fabulous contraptions, lots of organizing, lots of mail. Also, one bit had Auden's Night Mail read over it...oh be still my beating heart! Look what the internet has given me today! http://www.britmovie.co.uk/genres/documentary/filmography/003.html (Sorry, haven't figured out how to do fancy links yet - I'm here for the words, not the tech-ness). And you can buy the DVD! (Anyone? St. Patrick's Day is coming up and you know you want to give it to me!) Oh. I'm so happy. Now I can handle leaving my lunch break and returning to work...

2 Comments:

Blogger toni said...

This is hilarious because yesterday (the second, torturous no-mail day in a row) Lis and I were talking about the sad truth of Monday Federal Holidays. And she thought maybe you'd be all nonchallant about no-mail days. But you seem pretty challant. Which is fitting. I get it. Yesterday I was a little glum all day long, and looked longingly at my mail box each time I passed.

2:48 PM  
Blogger Jess said...

Challant is my middle name.

6:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home