Thursday, March 31, 2005

Will, Part I

This is an obligatory 'why am I awake?' type thing. Why hasn't my brain shut down yet? Why? I guess I only got home from work three hours ago, so it's not unreasonable. Also, today involved coffee. Delicious coffee. Even though the coffee occurred nearly 13 hours ago, I shall blame it, in part, for my wakefulness.

I was just doing some commenting and realized, hey, I kinda feel like writing.

I LOVE NOT GOING STRAIGHT FROM ONE JOB TO THE OTHER IN RUSH HOUR TRAFFIC!

I just had to say that. I think the caps are justified. My love is deep & abiding, like my love of the postal service.

Maybe the reason I'm not ready for bed yet is that I haven't debriefed. Well folks, I'm here to debrief. When I got home from work, I was too busy shoving food in my face to talk to my rooomie in the brief moment before she put her sick self in bed. I think that's why I don't want to live alone. I guess I'd start calling people at bedtime if I did live alone. Actually, I need to start calling people more. Maybe I should live alone.

Tyka's near death experience has affected me profoundly. It's made me come to terms with the fact that I'm mortal and that I, too, need a will. I don't want any fighting when I'm dead.

If I preceed tyka to 'the other room,' she may have: my half of the red couch, all of the chocolate in the house, & any Nikki McClure artwork in my possession.

Toni shall have my red pants. For keeps. She's already got her some Nikki.

My letters & notebooks shall be in the care of Bee, to be compiled & published with her own in many many volumes after sufficient time has passed.

To Sophie, my tea collection as a tribute to many happy evenings.

My kitchenware can be fought over by my mom & sister, with the exception of the avocado slicer, which shall be in my mother's sole possession (just a tip, but it's not shaped like an avocado - it doesn't work!)

To my brother, I leave any electronics, to be disassembled and recreated as he sees fit.

To Maren, Laurel, Lis & Toni I leave the fruit bowl and the vacuum. You know why.

My picture books I leave to Q. Use them well.

Tyk has already tried to give away my guitar & Narnia books to her brother. He can have the guitar, but Q. has dibs on Narnia.

To Laurel, my bed, so that she call collapse on it any time she wants to.

[Back with more later - hold your breath!]

4 Comments:

Blogger toni said...

I don't know, all this willing is kinda weird to me. A little too morbid. Then again, I've done my fair share of writing stuff like this. I seem to remember a standing agreement Bif and I had. I don't remember the specifics. It may have been quite comprehensive though. Like, if I die she gets everything. Except maybe the lip balm should go to Cullen so he can eat it.

At first I was sad that Jess willed all the Nikki to Tyka, but I guess it's fair. It's true, I already have some.

And, hey, the pasta bowl. Weren't you going to give that to me anyways. Like, while you're still alive?

I will...
to Jess: the brunch cookbook
to Lis: all my parenting books
to Laurel: my blue LC hoodie, so she can have two
to Maren: WAIT! OH MY GOODNESS! While I was thinking of what I wanted to will to Maren I just remembered something from LONG ago. I think it was the first time I went to her house. We were 11 or 12. We were playing some board game. I don't remember what it was. But there was something that said something like, "That's not a skateboard. It's a pickle on wheels." So that was our joke for a long time.
to my sis: my legs (in return for the promise that she wills me that cute little scar on her abdomen.)

Okay, this comment is long enough now. Geez, Town, why don't you get your own blog!

4:57 PM  
Blogger Jess said...

Yeah, the pasta bowl is tot yours while I'm alive. You just need to take it with you. If I remember, I'll bring it up with me.

Okay, I amend the Nikki McClure legacy - you get the cards that you don't already have, and Katy gets the calendars. Since you have calendars. Sound fair?

Yeah Town, get your OWN blog!

8:48 PM  
Blogger Amber said...

If you're like me, having a stranger post something on your blog might freak you out... but don't worry. I'm safe. I am not really sure how I managed to stumble on to your blog, but I've enjoyed checking back periodically to read. I guess I finally broke down and posted because we now have something more in common than a love of coffee - we've been replaced in our mother's eyes by a little person. (Okay, I'll admit that I'm a bit obsessed with my first niece too... but don't tell anyone). Thanks for the fun reading!

7:22 AM  
Blogger Jess said...

Cue Handel's Messiah - they have given me italics!

Thanks for commenting Amber, that doesn't freak me out as long as strangers aren't posting freaky things! And yeah, I obsessed with my god-daughter so I guess I can't really blame my mom for finding her own little person. My mother is obviously not the only one...

9:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home