Wednesday, May 18, 2005

wintergreen peppermint candies

I subscribe to the Powell's newsletter and today it told me that Donald Hall will be reading tomorrow. Now, I'm a huge fan of The Ox-Cart Man, and I was even such a dork as to read about the revision process for the poem that eventually became The Ox-Cart Man (for the New Yorker, natch). But readings? I've never been to one because no matter what my work schedule, they're always at bad times. But this reading? Where, granted, he won't be reading The Ox-Cart Man, but it's still Donald Hall? This reading is at 1 pm. And me? I work at 3. Thusly, tomorrow I shall behold the author of The Ox-Cart Man, and maybe I'll even like the memoir that he reads from.

Oh, and should I bring my $2 used paperback copy for him to sign? It's another one of those books where I'm forever buying a nice hardcover for someone else and have a wimpy paperback myself.

-jessmonster, Ox-Cart Man groupie

3 Comments:

Blogger ErikWithaK said...

I do that with the "Art of War." Giving a nice hardcover to other people and keeping the shotty paperback. But I think the paperback has character. ;)

9:43 AM  
Blogger Sara Joy said...

awww I love the Ox-Cart Man!!

And for whatever reason, I totally prefer paperbacks in my own library. They do have more character.

9:45 AM  
Blogger toni said...

go to the reading. you must. it's like when jane goodall was at university of portland - i HAD to go.

and, yes, bring your copy. get it signed.

i was a pretty big ox-cart man fan myself.

5:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home