Saturday, June 04, 2005

Library Girl to the rescue

Another day, another book rescue. I walked to our neighborhood bookstore to get a gift certificate for my brother's birthday, and while I'm there I might as well browse the children's section, right? It's this old house turned into a bookstore and crammed full. The kids' books are in what used to be the garage.

I'm standing there on a stool, reaching to the highest shelf to grab Walk Two Moons, when the clerk and another male customer begin consulting in the corner next to me.

"I think this one is the first one," the clerk says.

I look down & see that he has The Magician's Nephew in his hand.

Time for an intervention.

"The Lion, the Witch & the Wardrobe was the first one he wrote," I say. "The Magician's Nephew is the first chronologically. Within the world of Narnia." I gesture to indicate the magnificence of the world I refer to, the world where times moves differently than in our own.

Poor people, confused by newer editions that renumber the books. Just stick to the original, why don't you? It's things like this that keep Library Girl in shape. She's always there when you need her.

6 Comments:

Blogger toni said...

i do believe i've spotted library boy about town reading young adult fiction.

and eating a bagel with hummus.

and a cookie.

what do you think?

6:29 PM  
Blogger toni said...

it's funny because "about town" (in my previous commment) means one thing to most people... but considering it is ME who said it, it gets confusing.

6:30 PM  
Blogger Sara Joy said...

Amen. I love my classic boxed Narnia set, where TLTWATW is number ONE. I scoff at those who put Magician's Nephew first. And yes, I'm a Narnia snob. Stick with the original, indeed. Jess, are you excited about the movie as I am??

9:55 PM  
Blogger Jess said...

I AM excited about the movie! I'm glad to find a fellow snob.

Town, I say thumbs up. I approve. When are you going to slip him a note? What if TP steals LB from LG?

10:26 PM  
Blogger toni said...

yeah, I think TP and LG just MIGHT have some competition issues with LB. The thing is, TP SAW HIM FIRST!

12:38 PM  
Blogger Jess said...

This isn't like calling shotgun. It's a matter of compatability.

2:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home