Monday, July 11, 2005

bookworm

I just read tuckova and naturally that got me thinking. About my own pet peeves with children's books.

What bugs me most, possibly, are unmemorable books. I had this problem with Kira-Kira. Well-written, certainly. But not that kind of well-written where the characters lives in your head for a while. I've got a whole bunch in there, and I intend to start blaming them for any memory lapses. The Pevensies, the Ingalls, and Anne, Jonas, Despereaux, Mary Poppins, Meg, Stuart...the list goes on and on. Characters that jump start your imagination. Where you enter into a world that leaves you 1) wanting more and 2) believing. Where, if it's a series, each book gives you something new instead of simply repeating.

So I suppose I'm okay with fluff books as long as they do that. I don't know if every child can appreciate every good book in the same way, but I DO believe that there are books every child should be introduced to and given the chance to love.

1 Comments:

Blogger BabelBabe said...

Roald Dahl, the Phantom Tollbooth, Peter Pan, Winnie the Pooh (the real one, not the Disney one)...the classic nursery rhymes and stories (we just read Chicken Licken tonight)-- I get such a kick out of reading my favorite kids' books to my boys. Amd they lap it up. And ask for more. And my four-year-old will pull a book off the shelf and ask, "Mom, would I like this?"

In combining comments on yours and tuckova's posts, why would you read Capt Underpants when you could read The Five Children and It, or Paddington Bear (which sends my four-year-old into convulsions of laughter)?

Grrr. Poorly written children's lit is NOT lit.

6:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home