Friday, July 08, 2005

In which I insert a lot of parenthetical remarks

Lately I've been doing more blog reading than blog writing. That's good sometimes. It's like those periods when you just throw yourself into books - hey, summer vacation! - and you're 12 and you sit in the back yard reading Jane Eyre and you only take breaks to go to the pool or eat a popsicle.

What with seeing Lis and Toni both in boots for foot injuries, it got me thinking about the summer after 7th grade when I had a broken foot (through no fault of my own, just a freak accident. But in my head, the cause is all tied up with the meanness of my classmates that year. The year everyone went sour. Although it makes no logical sense, I feel like all the adolescent insecurity heaped itself up and landed on my foot and crushed it.) At first, I was heartbroken not because I couldn't walk and had to spend the summer on the couch, but because I couldn't dance. I almost marvel at that me, the one felt so strongly about it. Mostly because I've lost all of that drive - for dancing, at least. Four years later, I quit.

Instead of spending the summer sweating in a gym-turned-ballet-studio in Oregon City, I spent it on a nubbley blue couch in my parents' family room (a room that, might I had, has recently undergone a most remarkable transformation involving paint and the removal of my brother's soda can collection) begging my mom to go to the library (where I now work, of course!) and get more books for me. I read all of Austen, and most of the Brontes, and The Count of Monte Cristo, and who knows what else.

For the first time since my sister was born I had my own room. Normally I slept on the top bunk & my sister slept on the bottom (living in constant fear of collapse and death by crushing) and our brother had his own room. Thanks to an inability to climb, I got his room for the summer.

I don't know what my point is. I guess that's the end of the story. Anti-climactic, huh?

I had a lengthy dream last night that involved being back in college, only in the dream my school was on the East coast. And I was driving across campus and this run overtook me - I had to pull over to let them past.

I baked the most delicious cookies last night. All buttery and milk chocolatey. It was worth the wait.

3 Comments:

Blogger BabelBabe said...

ok, recipe please. because i need some chocolate and butter asap. thank you.

6:40 PM  
Blogger Jess said...

Well, I'm a little embarassed to admit this, but it's just the recipe off the back of the Nestle bag. But made with milk chocolate chips from the bulk section, and good God, no margarine. Only purest Costco butter for me!

8:38 PM  
Blogger BabelBabe said...

don't be embarrassed, there's a good reason that recipe has been on the back of the bag forever. Because it's perfect. I am with you on the butter. My MIL uses - gack - butter-flavored Crisco. Why oh why?

I am off to make cookies, although my oven is in the basement, so I anticipate working off the cookie calories, running up and down the stairs, while baking them : )

6:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home