Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Verbs for Dessert

This morning's winning conversation topic (I'm thinking of carrying little awards to hand out or something...?) was with Bronwen. The topic of frittering came up. As in, frittering away one's time doing ex, why and zee. And she said she liked the word fritter. "I love verbs that are also desserts."

Which got us thinking. Verbs that are also desserts...we made the following list:

fritter*
slump
crisp
cake
cream
trifle*
candy

And then we went to Grand Central. And while we were in line, we admired the blueberry tarts.

"Tart is an adjective and a dessert," said I.
"It's a verb, too! 'Tart yourself up!'" said Bee.
"Yes!" said I.

And then we laughed at our unreasonable enthusiasm for tarting oneself up. And so go the days...

*favorites

Okay, does anyone else talk to books while they're reading? Katy and Keith like to laugh at me when I do this. It's like a little conversation.

Book: Intriguing thing happens.
Me: Oh.

Book: Amusing moment.
Me: Hahaha.

Book: Revelation.
Me: So that's why he...

We're pretty good friends, Book and I. I've been spending an awful lot more time with Book than Computer. Book is very supportive and portable and fictional. Computer gets weary on long outings. Book calls out to me.

Oh shit. Now I doubt. Is it Book and I or Book and Me? It's Book and Me. Disregard previous bad grammar. Want to know how I made sure? I thought of this book, which I've never read. But all titles are there somewhere in my brain.

3 Comments:

Blogger BabelBabe said...

I *always* talk to my books. But also my computer.

And how about fool? I love strawberry fool.

6:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i talk to books, too. often, when something happens that i don't want to happen, i scream "no!" to the book. unfortunately, book doesn't often listen and said thing still happens.

sometimes, when that happens, book and i have to take a break from each other.

8:40 PM  
Blogger Jess said...

Ooh, fool's a good one. And I added a link for slump.

8:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home