Monday, September 05, 2005

Labor Day

I went to the church picnic this afternoon. And by church picnic I mean the event at which I alternately marveled at the gorgeous, cool-yet-sunny weather, chatted with friendly folks (raising chickens, sending your 7th grader to school for the first time, grad school, libraries, cream puffs, Alaska, etc) and wanted to rip off heads for judgmental comments. You know, the usual.

It was gorgeous. Still is. I'm thinking of heading to the park with my book. I should've whipped out my camera, but there was no one I particularly wanted a picture of. I was also the sole representative of the 20-somethings (where's the love, girls?) and while there are some of the younger moms that I love chatting with, there was no one to run off to the blackberry bushes with.

In the parking lot, though, a certain matushka spotted my bumper sticker - "secret eating, idle talking, frivolous laughter." I could see it catching her eye and thought, hoo boy. Here we go. But I laughed and said, yes, Katy & Annie & I got those made, aren't they funny? And she laughed and said it's not everyone that has part of the evening confession on their cars. And Fr. K laughed too. And we all went on our merry way. There you go, girls, the ice is broken with the bumper stickers. They have arrived.

3 Comments:

Blogger BabelBabe said...

Jess - are you orthodox? Since from your comment on my last post I assume you are not catholic since your priests are allowed to marry.

7:47 AM  
Blogger Jess said...

Yep, I am Orthodox.

8:18 AM  
Blogger Amber said...

Can I have one!?

7:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home