Sunday, September 04, 2005

self-fulfilling prophecy

My brother just called. At 9:30 on a Sunday morning. I didn't even know he got up that early. I asked what was up.

"I've got a homework assignment," he said, "and since mom and dad just told me that we're having a barbecue tonight [and hence the legions of cousins and friends]I need to do it today."

Poor Joey, only one left at home and no one tells him what's up.

Wait, homework? I thought school hadn't started yet. Apparently they have to turn stuff in on the first day. Someone is going straight to hell for that idea.

"I have to find a book that references Shakespeare and talk about 'thematic influence.' No movies. And I can't think of anything. Mom and Dad said to call you."

Thanks, English degree.

"Okay, what Shakespeare have you read?"

"Romeo and Juliet and Macbeth."

The conversation then turned into me thinking hard and saying "um" a lot and "I'm trying to think of what books you've read that might be influenced by Shakespeare." Because, hey, isn't everything? But you have to think of one! What was our solution to this problem?

"So in Macbeth there's that whole destiny/fate thing..."

"Self-fulfilling prophecy."

"Have you read anything with a self-fulfilling prophecy?"

"Harry Potter."

Yes, folks, my brother is off to write a paper comparing Macbeth and Harry Potter. A round of applause for him, please.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jess said...

G - I believe I said something like "yes! perfect!"

Ooh, ringing hands - that's a good one.

10:49 PM  
Blogger Kathy said...

As a former English major/teacher, I'd love to read that paper. :)

11:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

while i may be able to continue coasting along at my normal level of dorkiness with both a livejournal and a myspace ("a myspace"? my apologies.) -- i don't know if i could maintain two online journals without being a full-fledged nerd. and i'm quite happy to be just a dork.

that being said... i prefer blogger's look. perhaps a transfer is in the works, eh?

ps. your bro writing a macbeth/HP paper makes me smile. and miss school, as well -- why didn't i write a harry potter paper while i had the chance? stupid byron.

(sorry byron, i didn't mean it!)

12:07 AM  
Blogger Jess said...

Well, there was no Harry Potter Senior Seminar, so I guess were just out of luck. I think Byron made a good substitute.

Come to the light, Laura, come to the light...

Katya, it turns out he had to do several short answer type things, and the Shakespeare question was one of many, not a whole paper. Too bad.

12:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home