Thursday, December 15, 2005

roastaroma

Is there a set pronunciation for Roastaroma? I say "row-ma" like the tomatoes or Roma. Laurel says "raw-ma" like, well, I'm not sure what. Anyway, I'm drinking some which I haven't done in ages. Or perhaps donkey years. It's probably THE beverage of choice from the share a huge house year of college (and what does that tell you about us?)

Speaking of donkeys, I was weeding the folk-tale section of the library last night, mostly looking for books that needed recovering (it was a slow night). There was one book of nonsense stories that hadn't been checked out in something like five years and was pretty well worn. My coworker was flipping through it to see if it should be saved (we did a couple book rescues on things that we just couldn't get rid of, even though no one checks them out) and found a delightful story that went something like this:

A farmer had a large supply of popcorn stored in his barn. The popcorn began to pop [I don't remember how]. The donkey thought it was snowing and froze to death.

And there's an illustration of the donkey in a cloud of popcorn, shivering. It was literally that long.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My uncle likes to tell that joke when it gets really hot, so I have heard it at least, like, seven hundred times. It's always cows that freeze to death in his version though.

Also, I would guess roma is the likely pronunciation, but things that end in rama are so much more fun than those that end in roma.

1:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

can I be the authority on Roastaroma? I think I can, since I'm the one who brought it to the household. I'm certain it's aroma, as in scent. Not rama, as in bowl-o-rama!
-toni

4:15 PM  
Blogger Jess said...

Well, maybe someone needs to break the news to Laurel. I definitely think it's a combo of roast and aroma.

I think the moral is to think for yourself and to dig deeper. It looks like snow, but does it taste like snow?

5:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home