Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Tea

As I mentioned before, I love tea. And at the moment I'm feeling some withdrawal. Because I have standards, folks, and they must be met. The rules are these (yay, another numbered list!):

1. water must be boiling. Not microwaved, not just really hot, but boiling. Bold for boiling.

2. the tea must not be fruity. If there are fruit flavors along with real tea, that is a-okay. As in, orange spice. Or constant comment. Green is okay, herbal is great when you're in the right mood, but as a rule, black tea is preferred.

The other stuff, you know, I'm flexible. I prefer honey, but brown sugar or even white will do in a pinch (or in the library breakroom). I'll even drink it plain. Milk - take it or leave it. Lemon - nice, but by no means essential.

The problem is that there is no way to boil water here at corporate headquarters. We have 2 coffeepots (for 3-6 employees), 3 containers of sugar, a jar of teabags, 5 kinds of coffee, mugs, non-dairy creamer, even half-and-half if you're lucky, a microwave, and a water cooler that dispenses 'hot' water.

I've tried it. I've tried lowering my standards. I've used the dispenser. I've (God help me) used the microwave. And I can't even get halfway through the cup, because it tastes like lukewarm, lightly flavored water. If I weren't leaving this location within the month, I'd dig out my electric teakettle (let's hear it for dorm rooms!) and dust it off.

Actually, I'm not sure why I'm ranting about this right now. I've been 75% okay with it for the past 13 months. Maybe it's all these pistachios I'm eating that are going to my brain. Straight to my brain! Which reminds me, I should tell the "straight to hell" story someday. But for the moment I'm going to walk away from the computer and go find a source of nourishment...like, say, something sweet (don't worry folks, I already ate my peppered turkey/cheese/pita sandwich and my over-ripe banana!)

13 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Nice Name. Garish and Tweed. It really peaks the interest. You did a great job on the site header all around. We'll give you a 9. To get a 10 you have to say something both profound and funny, and we are not sure this has been done yet.

1:45 PM  
Blogger Jess said...

I never promised profundity. Not a quality often found on to-do lists or kitchen bulletin boards. And humor being in the eye of the beholder...

2:14 PM  
Blogger ErikWithaK said...

Come on man, it's well written. Stright to point, and all the while entertains me at work. Yes at times it's off the cuff, but what blog isn't. You should give credit where credit is due.

PostScript,

We don't have a tea maker either. Bastards!!!!

2:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just checked out your profile Mr Barber, are you talking about yourself in the THIRD person?

2:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And BTW. You're blogs are HILARIOUS

2:42 PM  
Blogger Jess said...

Tyka...are you saying I'm NOT FUNNY? Oh my God, you hurt my feelings! I don't want to link to you anymore!

2:42 PM  
Blogger Jess said...

PS - thanks, anon!

2:56 PM  
Blogger Jess said...

Phew, Tyka, I'm relieved.

2:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its a tough world out here in blogland, and we've got to watch each other's backs

4:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

in this blog-eat-blog world. Hah!

5:09 PM  
Blogger ErikWithaK said...

For the record, my blog is a vegan.

7:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love tea. Faves are Earl Grey, English Breakfast, and Green tea. Thanks for commenting. come again!

9:49 AM  
Blogger Jess said...

For a great perspective on tea/tea at work, read http://smartypants.diaryland.com
if you haven't already.

11:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home