Wednesday, July 27, 2005

my kingdom for a horse

First of all, I'm listening to Daughter of Time thanks to the reminder of its loveliness from Babel. It is, to use someone else's words, "excessively diverting." I read it years ago but now I get so much more of it. Plus, now I've been here! But it's the mind that fascinates me - Josephine Tey's, and her characters', and the way I feel that this is all really happening, and the book is completely engrossing without me really caring at all where the story goes (because I've forgotten). But when you've got Derek Jacobi's long in-drawn breath at the beginning of each chapter, and a bed-bound detective with a fascination with faces, and some history, you know it'll be good.

Next, this link (stolen from above) has me cracking up this morning. Who knew history could be so funny? And who knew that I was born on the day Richard III died? Or that history could be so funny? Not the dying part, because I've just read this and have quite a vivid picture of medieval battle, thank you very much, but because every August, the Richard III Society places newspaper death notices for "Plantaganet, Richard." What IS it with Richard III? Do people simply need more to distract them?

Apparently I do, given the amount of time I've devoted to providing links on the subject.

4 Comments:

Blogger BabelBabe said...

Poor Richard, all most people know of him is "my kingdom for a horse and the lousy opening of Richard III, "Now is the winter of our discontent." Sigh. Nice to find another fan : )

As to why we care - I don't know. I have a minor love affair going on with Elizabeth I as well, and a morbid fascination with the Medicis. There are just certain historical figures that invite intrigue.

6:15 PM  
Blogger BabelBabe said...

Annual General Meeting 2005: Chicago, Illinois
Save the date: September 30-October 2


Did you see this on that website? Whoo hoo! Let's go!

2:28 PM  
Blogger Jess said...

Oh yeah, I'm totally there!

10:01 AM  
Blogger BabelBabe said...

maybe i'll send one of my kids out for halloween this year as richard. it reminds me of a book i read once where the woman dressed up as jane austen and no one knew who she was supposed to be. i can see it now - SpongeBob, ghost, vampire, bum, Winnie the Pooh...and Richard III.

7:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home