Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Outside the blast radius

While Katy is worried about the blast radius this Thanksgiving, I'm more worried about eternal boredom. I'm spending it with the same group of people as last year (or was it two years ago? I don't remember) - an occasion, whenever it was, the highlight of which was a rousing game of Balderdash. Now I enjoy making up definitions as much as the next English major/wannabe librarian/OED-phile, but that doesn't quite meet my standards of witty banter and like-minded company.

The first issue: dessert. Rumor has it that only store-bought pies will be provided. Although I have not been officially charged with this task, I take it upon myself in the spirit of service to the greater good: I must bake. But what must I bake, internets?

The second, and perhaps (you might never hear me put anything above dessert ever again) more important issue: company. My family is going over the river, through the woods, past some farms, over the highway, past a stripmall, across another river and through the city of Boring (about a 40 minute drive) to spend the blessed day with my mom's friend and her family. And another family from church. I love my mom's friend. Everyone else is nice enough. But there is no one to talk to. There are some teenage girls. Some teenage boys. My mom will be busy keeping my dad from spewing inappropriate stories. My sister - oh sorrow of sorrows - has to work. WHY?

If I were ten, or even fifteen, and saw this situation approaching, I would bring a book. And read at the table.

3 Comments:

Blogger BabelBabe said...

you must bake pie. coconut custard is always welcome. or use the recipe on the back of the libby's pumpkin can (the one with two cans of evap. milk - it makes two pies.)

Use refrigerated pie shells if you must - marie callendar's are best.

although I am very thankful for the existence of chocolate chip cookies, so they might be welcome too.

Happy Tday, Jess!

1:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i've got an excellent coconut pie recipe. it may, in fact, be in the stonecutter cookbook.

if it isn't and/or you don't have said recipe and would like it, toss an email my way and i'll get it to you when i get home tonight. :)

2:12 PM  
Blogger Beege said...

Last night I made a super-easy Chocolate Caramel Pecan pie.

If you want the recipe, let me know.

7:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home