Tuesday, January 24, 2006

a dark day

I would like to have you all think that I was sunk into such a great, deep depression after awakening at the crack of dawn yesterday (actually before the crack of dawn, since it was 6 am Pacific) to find out what won, particularly the Newbery but also the other lovely awards, that I could not bring myself to share my reactions. Because who wants that kind of anger and disgust?

What actually happened was that I got up about 8:30 yesterday, well after the crack of dawn, and went for a run with Kate, and then we ate an apple pancake and drank some coffee, and then she went to class and I opened up all the windows and started cleaning the house. Never once did I think, "I wonder what won the Newbery?" as I have been doing compulsivly for the past several weeks. I didn't even turn on my computer.

It wasn't until this bright sunny morning (sun! I'd forgotten about the sun! It still exists!) that I glanced at my bookshelves, lined as they are with Newbery winners & honor books, and wondered, "what will win the Newbery?" Suddenly the realization dawned on me that I could find out so I rushed to my computer, to Kate's confusion, and swore. Loudly.

Criss Cross?

Whittington?

Princess Academy?

I am glad that Hitler Youth got two honors - Newbery and Sibert - but otherwise the whole experience was pretty damn disappointing.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jess said...

yes! Because there were books where I thought, 'that's a great book, but I'd pick Chicken Boy instead.' I felt that way about Hitler Youth. And other ones that were just plain old NOT GOOD. Like Whittington, especially. Whittington was BAD.

1:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home