Thursday, April 06, 2006

chocolate update

So I never talked about how Green & Black's and I have been getting along. Well, last week (maybe Friday?) I went to the People's Coop which is in a lovely little building and is very tiny and has produce and bulk foods and a refridgerated section and about two shelves of other food. I procured a bar of Maya Gold, along with some soymilk. They didn't have any mint, which was what sounded really excellent, but the Maya was more than satisfactory. I'm limited to the dark chocolates at the moment, otherwise I might have deliberated for ages.

I managed to stretch that bar until yesterday. Five whole days! Then today I found myself at the park with K & Q. I'd brought a little picnic lunch, PB&J on sourdough and some grapes, and after lots of sliding and swinging and laughing as sliding about twenty times turned Q's hair into a mass of static, I thought to myself, "I'm halfway to Target. Might as well see what they've got." So after they went home, I headed out.

And in the parking lot of Target I ran into K's aunt & cousin who were running errands. "I'm actually just here for chocolate," I said, and we spent several minutes discussing favorite brands and flavors, and they accompanied me to the chocolate aisle where we all oohed and ahhed. K's aunt, who's undergoing treatment for breast cancer, said that she's not drinking coffee or alcohol anymore, and chocolate is one of the treats she still gets. We deliberated over their "suitable for vegetarians and vegans" selection and she picked out a bar Maya Gold, and I came home with another Maya and a Currant & Hazelnut to taste test, on Lily's recommendation.

7 Comments:

Blogger Jess said...

Was it Doxie, maybe? Something like that. I haven't tried them but I did notice them. I wanted to stick to a name I knew.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that the G&B's was on SALE at Target.

10:11 PM  
Blogger lazy cow said...

So glad you finally got to try it! Do search out the peppermint though - you won't regret it.
I don't even want to know how cheap it was. Sale? I've never ever seen it on sale here. Sniff.

2:59 AM  
Blogger BabelBabe said...

i like the currant well enough...but i started with the maya gold. they are all delicious. : )

choxie, i think.

7:39 AM  
Blogger blackbird said...

oh!
I bought Maya Gold yesterday too -
haven't opened it yet.
imagine.

9:07 AM  
Blogger jo(e) said...

You stretched one bar for FIVE WHOLE DAYS? I did not know such a thing was possible.

11:16 AM  
Blogger Jess said...

I'll just say that "sale" meant a dollar cheaper than at the coop.

I didn't know it was possible, either! Needless to say (if you know my habits) there were also cupcakes and soy ice cream and chocolate at other people's houses during those five days.

11:45 AM  
Blogger BabelBabe said...

I bought two almond bars at the supermarket last night -- and ate them. I stayed up way too late reading and munching chocolate. It was avery pleasant evening...

I buy G&Bs at Whole Foods whenever I can because they're a dollar cheaper there than at the regular grocery store. Completely counterintuitive, I know.

9:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home