Monday, April 03, 2006

smoothies

I just got back from taking my sister to visit our family naturopath (for a persistent cold/cough/something (by "family" I mean that he was the one who delivered my brother, and the one whose office we went to as kids). Lucy was there last week to get antibiotics, and while she was waiting for him to finish up with other patients, he handed her a twenty and told her to go around the corner and get some yogurt. "Two big ones, plain, and a bunch of those little flavored Brown Cow yogurts." "That's a lot of yogurt," she said. And he said, "I'm going to make smoothies for everyone. Oh, and get some food for yourself, too."

Today she had blood drawn, and left her half-eaten banana behind on the table. While she was filling out paperwork, he comes out to the front office, holding up the banana, mischievous look in his eye, waiting for her to notice. Which takes about, oh, five minutes because she's fairly oblivious. "This is unsterile," he says with a straight face. Then he goes back and brings out the sweater she left behind. "This is unsterile, too."

My favorite story, though, is about when my mom was in labor and Dr. Dan and his wife (a midwife) were at our house, and their kids, naturally, were playing in the front yard (what, doesn't your doctor bring his kids along to births?) And my mom screamed at one point and startled his son so badly that he fell out of the walnut tree.

Time for a smoothie, speaking of...

2 Comments:

Blogger MsCellania said...

Oh, this is a wonderful post! I love our naturopath, too. I took one our our sons in with raging diahrrea, and he had a blowout in his diaper. A HUGE blowout. She ran a bath for him in her big work sink! Complete with bubbles. We use homeopathy on the kids and she dosed him once and then again before we left. Made some ointment for his raw fanny, and comforted me - I was ragged and exhausted from no sleep. We all got better!

It's cool that you have a family doc to go to. It's enviable.

5:58 PM  
Blogger Jess said...

The rest of us actually don't see him anymore - our insurance doesn't cover naturopaths, and Lu is the only one who isn't insured. I hadn't seen him since I was in high school.

He's over on Broadway. Same house he's been in since the last time I went.

9:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home