Wednesday, April 12, 2006

I've been in a weird reading space, a distracted one, where I don't feel like sitting down with any particular book. I'll read a bit of The History of Love, a bit of Consider the Lobster, a bit of Rasmus and the Vagabond, a bit of last week's New Yorker...What do I do to take care of this problem? Put four more books on hold at the library, including a couple of YRCA* nominees.

Has anyone read God Went to Beauty School by Cynthia Rylant? We were looking for items to put up on our staff favorites wall for poetry month and a coworker handed it to me. I read the whole thing there at work. I thought it would be something entirely different than what it is. I love it. Go read it, it'll only take a few minutes. I would describe it as "funny and heartwarming" if I were in a cliched mood. I can't think of anything better, though.

When I was in that half-awake state this morning, I thought that each time my snooze went off it was a signal that I had more work to do - work that I was doing last night, where I basically audit paperwork. Why? Why must I feel like I'm at work when I'm half-asleep? And why does my imagination so vividly fill in the individual quirks for each item I audit? And why the hell would work be brought to me in bed?

Why is it that I have the energy to go on a 3 mile walk but not to do my taxes? I know, completely different kinds of energy, but still. I don't so much mind paying taxes as I despise the whole "doing" of taxes. It's a pain in the ass.

*Young Readers' Choice Awards, duh.

3 Comments:

Blogger lazy cow said...

I've just gone through the 'I don't know what to read' blues. So I read Ella Enchanted on Babelbabe's recommendation. It was gorgeous. Why not just comfort read? Or re-read a favourite? Good luck!

4:37 PM  
Blogger Jess said...

I just got East, In Her Shoes, Granny Torelli, Daddy Long Legs, and The Beauty of the Husband at work. I feel optimistic. Of course, while at work I am overcome by the desire to read read read. And am surrounded by books.

9:32 PM  
Blogger Julia said...

Daddy Long Legs is fantastic. I love reading it and imagining my grandmother reading it for the first time. My grandmother said her concept of women's college came from reading DLL.

10:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home