Sunday, April 09, 2006

sunday confession

I cried harder watching Six Feet Under (episode ten, season five, if you must know) than I have, EVER, over a work of fiction. One solid hour (or is it forty-five minutes?) of tears streaming down my cheeks. Kate was the same. We were little wrecks, sitting here on the couch, clutching our tissues and glasses of wine. It started innocently enough, the kind of crying where you try to pretend you're not really crying. You're just, um, leaking a little bit. Maybe it's a little sad. Maybe you're developing allergies. But a few minutes into the episode we both gave up any pretension of stability and wept to our hearts content. Look up catharsis in a picture dictionary and you will find Kate and I on our red couch.

I'm a crier. I've been known to cry myself to sleep. I love a good tearjerker. I cried regularly through the last third of The Return of the King. I cry every time I read The Kitchen God's Wife. I cry during bad movies when they play the swoopy music designed to make you cry (and I resent it the entire time). But this, oh, this was crying. It was real life crying, pain & hysteria.

Is this healthy? And please leave any tearjerker suggestions in the comment box...

10 Comments:

Blogger Joe Pinsonault said...

Wow, that's sad Jess

11:16 PM  
Blogger lazy cow said...

I'm waiting for the library copy of Six feet under series 4 (12th in the queue, only 2 copies) before I can even think of watching Series 5. I'll be prepared though.
Tearjerkers: Steel Magnolia's (Sally Field crying at the funeral always gets me going) and Terms of Endearment (the hospital death scene) always get me going. I'm pretty hard-hearted now but I used to cry at everything.

11:41 PM  
Blogger blackbird said...

It's very healthy.
In the state I'm in, I am clicking through the channels in NEED of something to bring it on...
I really am hoping it doesn't end up being All My Children.

5:23 AM  
Blogger BabelBabe said...

ohmigod, the book Terms of Endearment made me cry so hard I had to put it down.

And have you ever seen Something for Joey? Total sobfest.

Of course, at this point in my life, I cry over Hallmark commercials. Or if my shoe comes untied. Or if H calls me by my full name.

7:41 AM  
Blogger Jess said...

Nate IS a selfish ass. I was sad because they were sad. You make perfect sense.

I kind of feel like other movie tearjerker moments will now never live up to my standards. But, I'm sure I'll come around to enjoying run of the mill tearjerkers again...and check out all the recommendations, thank you.

Now anxiously awaiting the arrival of the last disc...

3:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I absolutely love that show and haven't seen it in too long and now I have too because I want to cry like you cried.

I generally need to be jumpstarted into a crying fit unless it's brought on unexpectedly and inappropriately in some public setting. And yes, shouldn't we cry more about life than books or commercials or movies. It has never been true for me.

East of Eden made me cry. Pigs in Heaven made me cry. Most movies make me cry. Well, if they play the right music.

11:17 PM  
Blogger Bronwen said...

i didn't even bother to get tissues during those episodes. i sobbed into an old dishtowel so as not to tear myself from the screen. now you know.

7:42 AM  
Blogger BabelBabe said...

Oh man! I stupidly read Sophie's Choice when I was pregnant with my first son, and cried so hard I thought I'd burst a blood vessel. And Bridge to Terabithia still makes me cry. And when Angel dies in Ruth Sawyer's Roller Skates.

11:36 AM  
Blogger Jess said...

A dishtowel - perfect. I waited until we needed more wine to get tissues...

I haven't read Sophie's Choice, but I thought the movie was great. I don't recall being especially tearful...

Do you see this self restraint? I am sitting down to check email before putting on the LAST episode.

Bridge to Terebithia is such a classic tearjerker.

9:29 PM  
Blogger BabelBabe said...

oh god, i just watched Cider House Rules last night. Sob, sob, sob!!!

11:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home