Friday, June 17, 2005

You wouldn't want to marry a wicked man, would you?*

Have I talked about Anne of Green Gables lately? I don't think so.

The other night I watched the film version with the commentary. Now, you know you've watched a movie a few times when you cry even though you can't hear what the characters are saying.

I think I laughed a little too hard at what happened to Poppy, because fate found me today and dealt me a nice little blow. No panty issues, but that aspirin in the first aid kit at work does not cut it. Even four of them do not cut it. And try running back and forth while you hold down the front counter by yourself and the cramps attack and oh, the world gets a little woozy between hormones & aspirins.

So anyway, more Anne on DVD is a good remedy. I'm watching the sequel now & cracking up at all my favorite lines. And oh, when I get to the part where Anne pretends to sing the wedding song and they break Diana's bed? I will miss Laurel.

I was thinking, in the scene where Anne finds out that Diana is engaged, about being an Anne or a Diana in one's friendships. I think it depends on the person I'm with. I have a deep sympathy for Diana - for not being the one with the exciting life. For being the sidekick. Anne is who I want to be. Impulsive, creative, good with people.

*"I think I'd like it if he could be wicked and wouldn't."

"Pitching and mooning?"

"The over-particular ones get left behind!"

"I knew a girl who died in her sleep after being impertinent!"

2 Comments:

Blogger toni said...

This is one of my favorite lines.

"I think I'd like it if he could be wicked and wouldn't."

I don't know, sometimes I think I'd rather be a Diana. Although in the end Anne does get Gilbert - so all is well.

5:22 PM  
Blogger Autumn Hoverter, MS, RD said...

I love Anne. I own Anne of Avonlea and watch it frequently but I can't actually come up with a line that stands out. Anne always got into too many embarrasing situations for me to want to be her but I love the stories. There is a movie after Anne of Avonlea but I haven't seen it because it doesn't follow the books at all.

3:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home