Sunday, August 07, 2005

The Aftermath

I'm snarfing down some green beans I just made and thinking about all the things I've been saving up to blog about.

The quote of the weekend is courtesy of a parent overheard at the library, to child: "You wanna go outside where it's hot and there's nothing to do??"

Yes, it's hot outside. But nothing to do? Come on! That's what being a kid is about - finding stuff to do outside. Amusing yourself. Now, I'm pro spending time in the library, obviously, and it's a great refuge on a hot day, but please! Let your kids outside!

Yesterday I got paid to make catapults out of cardboard, rubber bands, and tape.

I did the whole "cry while listening to NPR on the way to work" thing on Thursday. And not even the "cry because there's a touching, heartwarming story on." No, it was the "listen to an actor/songwriter move from discussing his latest role as a rapping pimp to singing a Paul Simon-esque song he wrote about going home, and start crying" thing.

Did anyone else catch This American Life this morning? I heard a few minutes on the way to church, and they were just starting to talk about militant teen librarians when I pulled into the parking lot. I need to go back and listen to that one.

The houseguests have departed. They've left behind a jacket, a mysterious something under the couch, absolutely filthy floors, and a broken string on my guitar. Which is just great, because I have no clue about restringing it.

I didn't have any coffee today, and I'm kind of dragging. I don't want to be addicted. This is after yesterday's Intense Coffee Experience, involving something called toddy left in our fridge by a coffee fanatic guest - strong as a rope, and oh so good. I want some right now, in fact, but Intense Coffee at 7:20 pm? Bad idea. Very very bad.

Last night we grilled with assorted guests/friends, and then lingered at the picnic table drinking wine, some ungodly liquor, eating an entire jar of pickles (not simultaneously - first pickles, then wine, then liquor) and talking with the neighbors (the friendly ones, not the shotgun one). At one point our neighbor shouted, "I'm a lawyer, I'm supposed to be drunk!"

I'm looking forward to a little lull this week. Getting in a lot of reading, adequate sleep, and cleaning up after the storm damage (although not so much looking forward to the cleaning process, just the results).

1 Comments:

Blogger Kathy said...

Militant teen librarians? I've got to hear that one.

10:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home