Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Overpacking

I've never overpacked like this before. If I overpack, it's usually by bringing too many pairs of socks, or more shirts than I could conceivably wear, shirts for any temperature.

I've never overpacked on the electronics before. The cords I had in my suitcase? I felt very business like as I unpacked. I feel very business like as I sit here across from the hotel lounge, typing away.

But really, I was just exceedingly nerdy as I unpacked. Yes, I've been at the hotel a little over an hour, and anything I might need on this part of the trip has been unpacked. Hung in the closet. Arranged by the sink, on the desk.

When I was a kid, on the rare occasions we'd travel and stay in a hotel, I drove my parents crazy (I'm sure) by wanting to unpack every little thing. The drawers! I loved the hotel drawers. Even if we were just in middle-of-nowhere Idaho for a night on our way home from Utah. I thrilled to the bedside tables, the lamps, the cups with the little paper caps on them. I lovingly unwrapped bars of soap and arranged my reading material by the bedside.

Just imagine me now, as an adult. Actually, you won't have to - I've got pictures that I'll post later.

This hotel is enormous. There are 7 wings. Skybridges. Actually, it reminds me of our dorm in college. Except our dorm didn't have a heated pool (I'm assuming the pool is heated - we are in Washington). And it's that kind of well-cared for shabby - worn carpets, harvest gold tile in the shower, faded sofas in the lobby, a fake Northwesty look.

Aren't you all so glad that I brought the laptop? So that you can share ALL of this with me? Lucky you.

And yes, I went with "overpacking and not settling" and on the weekend I'll go with "overpack and check luggage." And Teeeka, darling, you underpack to excess. Remember the beach? I'm happy to report that I packed 2 sweaters, a rainjacket, and a fleece vest (company issue). If I'm bringing the big suitcase, I might as well fill it, right?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home