Monday, July 03, 2006

bookish

Lazy Cow just did a half-yearly reading roundup, which coincided nicely with my updated tally of how many books I've read this year.

January-June 2006:

children's fiction: 38
children's non-fiction: 5
adult fiction: 19
adult non-fiction: 3

Out of those 74 books, 9 were rereads.

I didn't break them down into more categories like Miss Lazy Cow, but it's very tempting to go back through the list one more time. I should really keep track of who recommended a book or how I heard about it, or maybe the year of publication so I can keep track of new titles vs. older titles.

I think there were only a couple of titles that I started and ditched...A History of Love is the only one that comes to mind.

I just found Nina's Newbery, which is "A compendium of comments for Mock Newbery discussions" and consequently right up my alley. She's got a Powell's wishlist going of suggestions for the mock Newbery (here go my google results for "mock newbery" again!) and, as you might remember, mock Newbery lists are a perfect motivator for me and my reading habits. Time for me to get to work. It's also particularly useful now that I won't be spending as much time in the children's library (sob). I shall now be forced to check out and read adult fiction because that's what I'll be exposed to every day. But never fear, my love of children's lit shall only grow stronger in the face of adversity!

Let's see, out of those six months of reading, 6 titles were Newbery Medal winners and 7 were honor books. One was a Printz medalist. In my lifetime, I've read 43 Newbery winners. So about half, I guess? 1922-2006. Eighty-four years.

2 Comments:

Blogger lazy cow said...

Glad I inspired you to do this: -)
I actually enjoyed The History of Love. And I've been getting into more childrens'/YA fiction too. Can you recommend your favourite Newberry Medal winners?

5:02 AM  
Blogger Jess said...

The Tale of Despereaux. The Giver. Bridge to Terabithia. From the Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler. A Wrinkle in Time. Those would be my top 5.

But, I also really enjoyed A Year Down Yonder; Bud, Not Buddy; Holes; Out of the Dust; The View From Saturday; The Midwife's Apprentice; Walk Two Moons; Maniac Magee; Number the Stars; Sarah, Plain and Tall; The Hero and the Crown; Jacob Have I Loved; The Westing Game; The Grey King; Up a Road Slowly; The Door in the Wall; King of the Wind; Johnny Tremain; Caddie Woodlawn.

Okay, that means that basically the only ones I didn't really like were the 2002-2006 winners, excepting Despereaux.

8:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home