Saturday, April 23, 2005

North Star, star of the sea

Margaret Barnstable wished on a star one night: North Star, star of the sea, I wish for a ship named after me. To sail away for a year and a day, with someone nice for company.

Maybe there are things that are equally as perfect as knowing a book by heart, but I can't think of anything at the moment. Not the same kind of perfect.

I'm not really sure that this is exactly how The Maggie B opens, but it's pretty close. The "year and a day" bit I'm not sure about, because she's only on the ship for a day. But it was my theme as I walked home tonight from where Tyka is house-sitting. It has a lovely rhythm for walking.

Okay, there are equally perfect things. Spring days being one of them. Where it pours and everything is green and new, and there's a full moon and fog coming in from the river and the new leaves look white in the moonlight. I guess that's a spring night. I didn't want to come inside. Sleeping outside would maybe be a little wet, but it sounds worth it.

Or on a boat, say, like Margaret. And her brother James (someone nice for company). With a cozy ship with fruit trees and a cabin with a stove and a pineapple-print chair and a bunk with a view of the waves.

I love those moments when you want nothing more than what you have - a walk home on quiet streets.

Maybe I should name my children Margaret and James. When they come along, you know. At least as middle names. I want kids for two reasons: to read out loud to, and to name them after characters in books. (If you were to name a child after a character in a book, who would it be?)

Quote of the day, courtesy of Fr. M's sermon: "You can't just say 'He's a big magnet and I'm full of metal.'" ("He" being God)

Also, today was a "wine/oil/caviar" day, in case you didn't know. Tomorrow: fish!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

two books, one stone:

Joseph K. Mooney

7:38 AM  
Blogger Beege said...

I always thought I'd use "Emily" as in Emily Byrd Starr of New Moon fame.

But "Emily" sounds stoopid with the last name I married, so I probably never will use it. *sniff*

2:18 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

I was thinking maybe Danny, from a Roald Dahl book that I love.

1:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home